Thursday, November 4, 2010

Best Group Ever (:

Finally, everything is over. Feeling relieved, yet with a tinge of sadness as well. All the time spent on this project was torturous but yet enjoyable at the same time. Not forgetting that we had to come back to school last Saturday and Sunday, causing us to effectively have a 7-day work week. But, the stress, the jokes, the times we had, would definitely be etched in my memory forever. I feel really blessed, to have this combination of people in my group and I would like to thank them for being with me through this whole journey. You know who you are. (:

Preparation

With the handing up of our proposal just one week ago, we effectively only had one week to prepare for our presentation. The fact that all of us were tied down with other schoolwork didn't make things any easier either. We came up with many ideas to enhance our presentation and to improve the visuals, but we decided that the skill of eloquence and effective presentation was what Brad was looking for. Furthermore, when Vinod introduced Prezi to us and with the idea of making a video to illustrate the gravity of our problem statement, we felt that these were sufficient to complement our presentation.

After spending a lot of time editing our Prezi, we finally got down to rehearsing our speech. For me, I didn’t have a physical script but probably due to the many times I have recited my part, I was able to memorize it by heart. Knowing that persuasiveness is the way to go, I tried to draft my speech to make our proposal sound as convincing as possible. With my part being on benefits, it was even more important that I sounded persuasive. My part initially overshot the time limit to about over 8minutes. However, Alvin helped me by making a great point that I shouldn't be talking about limitations when we are selling our proposal and this helped me in the editing of my speech. It is times like this when we help each other that I feel that that's what group members are there for. (: With countless rehearsals, we were still not quite prepared for the actual event. We even met up at 7am on the actual day to rehearse one final time. The extent that we went for this project really marvels me.

Delivery

For sure, I felt I could do a better job. Watching the recording, I realized I stumbled a few times where I shouldn’t have. My posture should have been better as well. But more importantly, despite countless reminders to myself, I realized I was (again!) talking too quickly. Hopefully, I sounded clear to the class and that they were able to understand what I was presenting. Taking Vinod's advice of making short pauses here and there, I tried to do it during the presentation but it didn't seem as good as during rehearsals. I also realized that I was constantly looking at the screen when I did not have to refer to it at all. Perhaps, it was due to my nervousness. However, I felt I was able to emphasize on certain important parts in my speech and that I was also able to project my voice quite well, sounding clear though fast. Hopefully, I was able to execute that element of persuasiveness.

Use of slide ware and audiovisuals

Taking the hint of not using the usual PowerPoint, we took up Vinod's idea of using Prezi. But then again, we were slightly skeptical about it as well as we were all new to the program. Thinking Prezi was something special that most people might not have seen it, we met our first setback when we realized that the other group was using Prezi as well. However, we decided to go ahead with it anyway and to make the best out of it. Despite the limited time we had, we also decided to make a video to illustrate the evidences of the lack of career skills in students, because we felt that seeing is definitely believing. For fear that the audio in the classroom would not work, we thought of rehearsing in the actual classroom during the weekend, but we weren't able to do so. So, to prevent any technical issues, we decided to bring our own speakers instead and I'm glad that everything went smoothly in the end.

Before I end off, I would like to express my utmost gratitude and appreciation to my beloved group. Thank you so much for everything. I'm glad that we had a common goal in mind, that led us to working well with each other. No doubt there were some unhappiness here and there, but I'm glad things eventually went well. Once again, I am really glad to have known you guys and hope you enjoyed this whole process as much as I did. ((:

11 comments:

  1. Hi Alicia,

    Thank you too for this memorable journey!!

    I have learnt a lot from you guys. Your dedication to work, your positive attitudes and your teamwork spirit are most impressive.

    I believe all of us have done a marvellous job! Oh, that video you did was fantastic, very relevant, short sharp and sweet!

    Our prezi is ok, but if we have more time, it could be more artistic and refined. Considering the limited time we had, we have tried our best!Yup, so no regrets.

    Again, one point for all of us, I felt we were a bit too serious, serious face, a little frown etc. Maybe we could have more gentle smiles in our next presentations.:)

    Thanks, Alibaba! The magic team!!All the best for your finals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alicia,

    Thanks for the effective presentation your group has given on Monday. I can see a lot of hard work was involved in the preparation and thanks for all your efforts!

    For your part in the presentation, you had put good emphasis on different sections. I especially like the sentence “Leaders…Leaders…Leaders…”, the way you said this sentence caught our attention immediately and we were really impressed by that. Despite that there were several times you got stumble, you quickly got over the situation and resumed your speech timely. The speech was smooth and you concluded your group’s presentation very well.

    The only thing I feel you should take notice is try not to speak too fast. Calm down a bit and this will make the audience more eased :)

    Thanks again for your group’s efforts and all the best to your preparation for the Finals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alicia ( in "specific pronunciation" ),

    Your presentation was very effective,elaborate and sure looked well rehearsed. Starting from beginning you were a bit fast while speaking. Everything else was fine. Sometimes its better to pause a little while speaking so that other person digests what you have said.

    Hand gestures were nicely used too. No other gestures appropriate with your style of speech.

    Thanks once again for such a good delivery and that too at the beginning of our Final Presentation!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ali,

    Yet another project with you, Alicia. -.-" God knows when I can finally have a good break away from you? HAHA. JUST KIDDING.

    I could see your dedication and I appreciate all the efforts you had put into our assigments. :)

    Anyway, I felt your delivery was great albeit a little too fast!(Yet again!) But having said that, it wasn't that bad to a point whereby we could not totally understand you. So fret not, but it would have been better if you could practice talking slower, even during normal conversations. :)

    Once again, thanks for going through so many projects with me. I am sure we have all learnt from each other in one way or the other.

    Cheers,
    Alvin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Alicia! (:

    Your group gave a marvelous presentation that day, and from your post I can see that it was achieved through a lot of hard work!

    Like Nanhai has pointed out (and I completely agree) one of the strongest parts of your speech was the "Leaders..Leaders...Leaders" section. Plus, even though you mentioned that you "stumbled" a few times during your presentation, I personally felt that you 'recovered' commendably well each and every time; such that smooth-ness of the overall delivery wasn't much affected at all! (:

    Watching you that day, I was silently quite proud of you. Really. Mostly for how far you had come from the Peer Teaching oral presentation we gave at the start of the semester. How you kept your cool, how you carried yourself, how you were 'fierce' in the Tyra-Bank's-sort-of-way...which came from genuine confidence. How you projected your voice and maintained eye-contact. In all, it was a very impressive presentation. (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Alisssssia,

    It's been a pleasure to have taken this ride together with you and for that I can't be grateful enough.

    Preparation wise, you were the one pulling the strings by contacting everyone about meeting timings, the to do list and also constantly motivating everyone around you. Like I told you before, you're really the life of any project group and somehow the group mood is interlinked with your cheerful and jovial nature. Never change that about yourself :))

    For delivery, yeap I certainly felt you were better the day before during the rehearsal when you were near perfect in talking speed. This isn't to say that your actual one was bad. I hope whatever your next presentation, you really keep this point in mind and make a more conscious effort to take appropriate pauses and speak. Just because you are a step away from being a fantabulous presenter!! Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Xixi; Thank you for being an essential part of the team too! I am really thankful for your presence as it really pushes all of us to be so much more productive and efficient. Definitely, we could have been less serious, but I guess our aggressive tone made us more persuasive? (I hope!) That aside, I can't help but agree that we did our best and had no regrets. (:

    Nanhai; Thank you for being an attentive audience too, Nanhai! And thank you for your compliments too. (: Indeed, I definitely should have spoke slower which would for sure enhance the quality of my presentation. Old habits die hard, but I'll still try my best somehow! (:

    Shivam; Thank you for your feedback, Shivam! Your team did well too. Great job! (:

    Then; You mean when can I break away from YOU?! KIDDING! But sincerely, thank you for being there always. You know I appreciate you a whole lot. (:

    May; Thanks May! Your comment really put a smile on my face. (: Thank you for having such great faith in me, both for peer teaching and even now, for my OP. Yes, it is really great to see how we improve from peer teaching and I guess that's the whole crux of the module; that we learn from every process. (:

    Vinod; Sincerely appreciative for all your feedback. I really believe that through the project, we really did learn a lot from each other, and I'm really thankful for that. I won't change my jovial nature, provided I don't meet any more mean people like you and Alvin! Just kidding! But that aside, the pleasure is mine to be able to work with you. (:

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My dear Alissssssiiiaaaa,

    Thanks for this detailed reflection, and also for the effort put into the project and final presentation. Like one of your readers here mentioned, you have come a long way from the initial presentation in the peer lesson. You exuded so much more confidence, such good eye contact and so much control. Were there any slip ups? Yes....but that's just part of the process, and I know you will take those in stride, build on what you have learned and move toward becoming a 5-star presenter! You are on your way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Alicia,

    I really liked your group's Prezi. During your presentation, I silently said to Sylvester your presentation was better than our group's.

    I am ok with fast speakers, but I noticed that some people aren't comfortable with it. I have a few friends from UK in FASS; I noticed that I was able to understand them despite their speed.

    Nevertheless, great job with the presentation!

    $W?h0w$

    ReplyDelete
  10. Finally a big relief off your chest after the last graded part of the module. Interesting use of the prezi (but of course I was blocked part of the presentation thus asking a stupid question). ANyway, you have really did improve much more, and I think your presentation tone is effective. Many aspects have been much better, but just do watch out the tendency to lean back and forth while talking, as i think it was partly due to nervousness. Nevertheless, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brad; Thanks for your compliments! And I'm glad that my improvements from the peer teaching are manifested during the oral presentation! And it's all credited to you, Brad. Thank you so much for imparting all these important life skills to us. (:

    Wyhow; Thanks! It was indeed surprising that we both used the Prezi actually. But anyway, in my opinion, we both used it well! Great job with your presentation too! (:

    Elgin; I probably realised I was leaning and all when I was presenting but I couldn't help it! Probably like what you said, it was due to my nervousness. But I'll learn from it and improve in my next presentation. Thanks! (:

    ReplyDelete